The selection of the 2019 TESZT Festival
The Csiky Gergely Hungarian State Theatre will organize the twelfth edition of the Euroregional Theatre Festival Timișoara – TESZT during May 19th-26th 2019, showcasing the best performances from the region as well as rest of Europe. More than half of this year’s selection comes from the open call launched by the festival for productions from Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
The selection of the 12th Euroregional Theatre Festival Timișoara - TESZT was constructed around the concept of heroism/anti-heroism. Classical text in contemporary re-interpretation, heroes in tragic situations, new drama reflecting on the acute contemporary crises, classical or innovative aesthetic forms, a diverse theatre geography on a subject that is always fascinating and more sensitive than ever.
Following the tradition of previous years, the performances will benefit from translation in English, Hungarian and Romanian – depending on the language of the performance, while the used venues will be the Main Hall and Studio Hall of the Csiky Gergely Hungarian State Theatre (2 Alba Iulia Str.) and the Performance Hall of the Military Circle in Timișoara (Libertății Square).
The TESZT selection was completed by the festival director, Balázs Attila, together with the festival’s team.
The chosen performances are:
1. Csiky Gergely Hungarian State Theatre, Timișoara (Romania) – SWAN LAKE REVISITED, directed by Kokan Mladenović - PREMIERE
2. Forte Company - Szkéné Theatre, Budapest (Hungary) - The Suicide, directed by Horváth Csaba
3. Novosibirsk State Drama Theatre (Russia) - Sociopath/Hamlet, directed by Andrey Prikotenko
4. Mladinsko Theatre, Ljubljana (Slovenia) - no title yet, directed by Tomi Janežić
5. St. Petersburg Masterskaya Theatre (Rusia) - Fando and Lis, directed by Ricardo Marin-Vidal
6. Cie Malka Dance Company (France) - Têtes d'Affiche, choreography by Bouba Landrille Tchouda
7. Kosztolányi Dezső Theatre, Subotica (Serbia) - Spectator’s Academy, directed by Urbán András
8. Bakırköy Municipality Theatre Istanbul (Turkey) - I Love You, Turkey, directed by Yelda Baskın
9. Moment Maribor & EN-KNAP Ljubljana (Slovenia) - Hero 2.0 - The Show of All Shows, directed by Uroš Kaurin and Vito Weis
10. Jamaa el Irakya & Frascati Producties & Monty (Belgium/Netherlands) - Baghdad, created and performed by Enkidu Khaled and Chris Keulemans
11. Jászai Mari Theatre Tatabánya (Hungary) - Macbeth, directed by Szikszai Rémusz
12. Apollo 111 Theatre, Bucharest (Romania) - Medea’s Boys, directed by Andrei Măjeri
13. F.A.C.E. Szabó Visual Performing Arts Ensemble (Germany) - Antigone, directed by Kristóf Szabó
14. Csiky Gergely Hungarian State Theatre, Timişoara (Romania) - Henry IV, stage director: Victor Ioan Frunză
15. Szkéné Theatre, Budapest (Hungary) - Kohlhaas, directed by Hegymegi Máté
16. Bitola National Theatre (North Macedonia) - Noah's (New) Macedonia, directed by Kokan Mladenović
17. Vrooom (Serbia) – Eroticism, concert
The detailed scheduled will be published in early May, once the ticket sale is launched. More information about previous editions can be found on teszt.ro.